July 30, 2014

Pt. Judith light RI

The light and coast guard station at Pt. Judith RI stands at the west entrance to Naragansett Bay. First built in 1810 and rebuilt multiple times following storms this important landmark guides shipping traffic east towards the Bay and west towards Long Island sound. Detailed history here.

In 1857 this octagonal tower was built and fitted with a fourth order fresnel lens which is still in place today. In 2000 Coast Guard architect Marsha Levy directed a renovation of the light which was competed by Campbell Construction.




photograph copyright 2014 George Hutchinson

No comments: