The tower and keepers quarters are constructed of brick in an Italianate architectural style completed in 1874. Originally equipped with a third order Fresnel lens made of six bulls-eyes revolving once every nine minutes creating a flash every 90 seconds. This lens has since been replaced with an LED source. The lantern stands 86 ft above grade but is on a bluff so the focal plane is 130 ft above the lake.
A tram system descends to a concrete landing on the lakeshore enabling equipment and supplies to be off-loaded and moved up the bluff. Restoration work is underway on the buildings and bluff to preserve this national historic landmark site.
photo copyright 2014 by George Hutchinson